Monday 21 September 2009

Everyone deserves a chance to fly.

I spend an awful lot of time at home. My family freely admit that they think that because I'm at school, I have no social life and so have no problem finding time to myself when they need me to babysit all the effin' time. I actually hate it. I live in a council house with two bedrooms, one of which I share with my sister, there is no lock on the bathroom door, it's cramped, you can hear everything and there is no such thing as privacy. Generally I find it less stressful to be at school around over a thousand angsty, whiny, excitable teenagers.

I hate spending time at home.

Yesterday I had no plans for the day when I woke up. I hate that. But my brother swooped in and saved me via the phone. Two hours later I was on the Knavesmire (York Racecourse) at a fair with my sister and my brother's family.

My nieces at 3 and 6 years old are complete and utter adrenaline junkies. There was not a ride they wouldn't go on. Me and my bro felt sick after the first ride we went on and my sister wouldn't go on anything other than the bouncy castle. My SIL loves fairs and my nephew was too bewildered by the chaos around him to do much else besides stare.




Kelsi (oldest) dragged me around all the rides, making me drop most of my money somewhere along the way (always seems to happen... always hate it) and nearly repeat my breakfast. Eboni (middlest) was determined to be as brave as her sister and went on as many rides as she could, despite being too small for most of them. They went on rollercoasters, ghost trains, haunted houses, funhouses (me and my bro are going into business making 'adult funhouses' for stag nights/bachelor parties - awesome). until the monster trucks arrived and caused some damage. That was awesome.



We ended up leaving the fair and helping inflate hot air balloons.



Kelsi has been desperate to go on a hot air balloon ride since she's been able to tell us so. But not today, so she had to make do with getting them in the air. After one caught the wind wrong and fell over we offered her that one, but she wasn't too keen after all... Especially when the passengers fell out of the basket.

Eboni contented herself by waving to all the people who had actually made it up into the air.



After an impromptu High School Musical rave (my brother has the soundtrack in his car, 'for the kids' he claims.) I ended up back at home with a night to kill off.

Phone rings. "Hey Nicky, can you come with me to see Epidemic tonight? Al got wankered and pulled out."

Awesome.

So spent the rest of the night in a bar I used to go to all the time with my dad listening to THE heaviest metal ever, gradually losing my hearing and dodging the ever-expanding mosh pit. (Have you ever seen a full blown mosh before? It's like break dancing only totally uncoordinated and with more hair. And you deffo don't want to get in the way of it. Ouch.)

Oh, and having drinks spilt on my flip-flopped feet.

NEVER go to a metal gig wearing flip-flops. You'll thank me later.



And just by having done something with my day that didn't involve being tied down in one place, I felt a lot better.

Now why can't my life always be like that?

0 comments: