Thursday 4 December 2008

My niece's favourite question:

Why?

It's a perfectly good question. Why is the most asked question in all of history, but I think it's the question that gets answered the least too.

When my nieces ask me 'why' something does something, it's usually not out of real curiosity. Or more, it's out of curiosity to see when I'll crack.

Example:

Kelsi: Nicoooole?

Me: Hey hun, what's up?

Kelsi: It's raining.

Me: I know, it's a shame, we'll have to stay inside

Kelsi: Nicoooole? Why is is raining?

Me: Because of the clouds.

Kelsi: Why are there clouds?

Me: Because the water likes to fly when it gets warm.

Kelsi: Why does the water like to fly?

Me: Because water doesn't approve of the rising cost of plane tickets.

Kelsi: Why?

Me: Because water is masochistic. It preferred it when everything ran off steam.

Kelsi: *pause* Why?

Me: Because frozen cubes of urine fell from the sky and offered it a cigarette. Tag! You're it! *runs away*

----------

Kids are tough work, take it from me.

Or maybe Kelsi's just tough work. I love her insanely of course, but she's so unbelievably cocky. Her sister Eboni will hear what you say and leave it at that, then go off to play with her doctor's set (I bought her that... *super auntie*), but Kelsi sees RIGHT through you. She's loud, she answers back and she loves to push her luck, nothing gives her a greater buzz. She'd give Steven Hawking a run for his money.

Still, she's Kelsi, she's awesome. Don't feel you have to doubt that for a second.

(Seriously, don't, or Super Auntie [me] will kick your ass into the middle of next century)

Anyways.

The meaning of this post is that I was just (well, about half an hour ago now) thinking about why I blog, and I came up with this excuse reason.

When I go to write a blog, often I don't actually have a reason. I start out typing and each one is a thought-track (which is why I digress quite a bit). And so I can come out with some pretty random stuff because none of it is premeditated. Then I just safely store it away ('safely' turns into 'on the internet for everyone to see' somewhere along the line) to refer back to later.

So there is the explanation nobody ever asked for.

Fin.

Nicole.

0 comments: